The owners of the castle
The founders of a new Łeba residence were the Wejhers who came to Lębork-Bytów region in the second half of the 14th century.
After the flood which took palce on 15th September, 1497, Kalus Wejher built another seat on more safe grounds, on south-western shore of Sarbsko Lake. He gave it a name of Neuhof (New Castle) in contrast with the 'old' one in Łeba. Klaus is not only considered as a constructor of Neuhof, but also as a progenitor of the Wejher's line both in Łeba and Nowęcin. In the middle of the XIV century Wejher was a duke's sub-perfect in Słupsk, and at that time the wealth of the family increased.
Ernest Wejher (1517 - 1577/1590)
Ernest appeared at the court of king Sigismund II Augustus, participated in the Polish-Lithuanian war in Livonia, held numerous offices and posts: he became a sub-perfect of Lębork (later Puck), and his seat in Łeba and Nowęcin. He was the owner of numerous estses including Charbrowo and Osieki, so he was an extremely wealthy person . His marriage to Anna Materska brought him six sons and three daughters. Only one of them , Melchior, inherited Nowęcin.
Melchior Wejher (? - 1643)
Melchior was also a holder of numerous offices and posts; he used to be a Prussian Treasurer, a castellan of Elbląg (1619-35), a Governor of Chełmno and a Perfect of Bydgoszcz and Lębork. Melchior enjoyed travelling and hunting in the company of his friends, to which belonged mostly men. He did not hide his negative attitude towards women; he felt uncomfortable in their companionship. He also persecuted ladies during the parties and official meetings. His controversial behaviour and very modern, as for his times, opinions caused that Melchior was famous in the neighbourhood, and the courtiers made up some stories about him. Melchior's parents did not have an easy life with their son. They were forced to contradict the rumours about Melchior's homosexual inclinations or explain his shocking behaviour. Melchior fought against getting married for a long time, and after the threat of being disinherited eventually gave up and married Anna Prymówna, a candidate who had been chosen by his parents. This relationship was not sucessful, anyway, and the married couple had no children.
Ernst Wejher from Gniewino (? - 1651)
Der Enkel des Franzens aus Gnewin und Sohn von Klaus. Neuhof wird nun von einer anderen Wejherlinie übernommen. Ernst wird im Jahre 1630 in Neuhof sesshaft, aber auf welche Art und Weise er zum Besitzer von Neuhof wurde ist unbekannt. Es kann sein, dass er das Gut Neuhof kaufte oder es wurde als Erbschaft einer anderen Linie der Familie Wejher übergeben. Wie für damalige Zeiten, war dieser Besitzer ein hoch gebildeter Mann. Er war Führer des damaligen Adelstandes und zugleich Landesrichter in Lauenburg. Er heiratete Barbara Sophie von Krockow und sein einziger Sohn Franz wurde nach dem Tode seines Vaters zum Erben des Schlösschens in Neuhof.
Franciszek Wejher (1620 - 1756)
Franciszek studied at the University of Prague, he also travelled a lot, amogs others to Netherlas , England, and France. He was a Sub-perfect of Wałcz, Czarny and Biały Bór. Besides Nowęcin he owned Szczenurze and Skarszewy; he had his shares in other towns. He set up a charity foundation of Franciszek Wejher (13th January, 1676). His wife was also a descendant of the von Krakows. After her death, Mikołaj Wejher became the natural owner of those estates, which he also enlarged considerably.
Nikodem Wejher Henryk, Polish Chamberlain
He is the last representative of the Wejher family which owned Nowęcin for more than 300 years. He was very keen on horses. His interest became a passion, and the passion became an obsession. He travelled around the whole country looking for the most beautiful horses. He wanted to create the biggest horse stable in Pomerania. Horses became his most absorbing matter. His wife Henryka Konstancja spent lonely days and nights in the castle waiting in vain for her husband's returns. Loneliness pushed her towards unfaithfulness which was to made up the abscence of her husband. Initially secret meetings changed into public romances. Nothing, however, seemed to arouse Nikodem's interest but horses, and numerous romances of his wife unburneded Nikodem from accompanying his wife all the time.
Konrad Henryk von Somnitz from Charbrowo
The estate was sold on 6th October, 1781 to Konrad Henryk from Charbrowo, who in turn sold it during the same year.
Josef Jakob Schreder
The Pawele family
In 1804 the property was taken over by the Pawele family. The owners in sequence are:
The count Krockow-Mathy
Kramer, from 1837
Ludwik Strauts, from 1846
Maria from the house of Ostrecht, a widow after Ludwik Strauts
Maria and Ludwik, undoubtedly belonged to the best and happiest marriages which inhabited the castle. Maria faithfully accompanied her husband in numerous travels, and Ludwik in return coddled her with presents and did not leave her for a while. Everyboby admired them, and some even envied them their true love. After Ludwik's death, Maria could not find herslef in a new situation. Her health deteriorated, she ate little, and in consequence lost her senses. She walked the long hours in the castle exhorting to her husband and looking for him in every apartment. She died after a short time. The legend says that the ghost fo Maria still goes around the castle looking for its husband desperately, and some silient whispers and sob is heard in the halls of the caslte.
Hermann Strauts (1896 - 1902)
Leon Rietzke from Werblowo, from 1902
It was then that Lemcke wrote an incomplete description of the place. The author mentioned that the old area of the old chapel was built into the present walls of the castle. He also mentioned the name 'Jerusalem'. This part of the building was built over arched cellars, with thick walls with two niches crwned with semi-arch.